Well guys, it's Moon Man time again. This year Jack Black was hosting the awards and if I am being honest, this is the only reason I even bothered to watch it. I wish I hadn't bothered now. I will never get those three hours of my life back! Does anyone remember when Jack Black was slightly funny? And didn't wear gold sparkly coats? Anyway. I'm getting off topic here.
· Video of the Year: Panic! At the Disco, "I Write Sins not Tragedies"
· Best Male Video: James Blunt, "You're Beautiful"
· Best Female Video: Kelly Clarkson, "Because of You"
· Best Group Video: The All American Rejects, "Move Along"
· Best Rock Video: A.F.I., "Miss Murder"
· Best R&B Video: Beyonce ft Slim Thug & Bun B, "Check On It"
· Best Dance Video: Pussycat Dolls ft Snoop Dog, "Buttons"
· Best Rap Video: Chamillionaire ft Krayzie Bone, "Ridin"
· Best Hip-Hop Video: Black Eyed Peas, "My Humps"
· Best Pop Video: Pink, "Stupid Girls"
· Best New Artist: Avenged Sevenfold, "Bat Country"
· Viewer's Choice Award: Fallout Boy, "Dance, Dance"
· Best Video Game Soundtrack: "Marc Ecko's Getting Up"
· Best Video Game Score: "Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion"
· Ringtone of the Year: Fort Minor, "Where'd You Go"
· Best Editing: Gnarls Barkley, "Crazy"
· Best Cinematography: James Blunt, "You're Beautiful"
· Best Direction: Gnarls Barkley, "Crazy"
· Best Choreography: Shakira ft Wyclef Jean, "Hips Don't Lie"
· Best Art Direction: Red Hot Chili Peppers, "Dani California"
· Best Special Effects: Missy Elliot, "We Run This"
Personally, the highlight of the show for me was OK GO's dancing performance on treadmills. They amuse me and I am quite fond of their music. And I think you should go out and buy all of their CDs. And then build a shrine with them, shaped like me. Or not. Whatever. You can see the video here:
I urge you to watch it and I challenge you to be unimpressed. If you don't think what they did was clever and original, I will undo your shoelaces and run away giggling. Because I am mean that way. Fear me!!!
This year, I could not help but notice that the 'emo' trend was a fighting force. I don't know what you all think of emo. I'm not a fan, personally, and was slightly gutted when Jared Leto presented an award in emo attire. Apparently he is doing that now. If Jared Leto has succumbed to emo… who is next I ask you? WHO?
The Raconteurs acted as VMA House Band, tucked away safely in a corner like a naughty child, or dunces. You can decide which is more fitting. They were joined by ZZ Top's Billy Gibbons, Lou Reed and Jim Jarmusch at separate points in the evening, providing distraction from the 'bling' encrusted idiots and guys with more eyeliner than is necessary.
I cringe when I think what they are going to pull out of their hats next year. The Pussycat Dolls live sex show with various small time rappers? No, wait. You can see that on MTV already. As a child of the MTV generation, nothing would shock me anymore. I challenge you MTV. Either get good, or get so awful that you are oddly cool, like David Hasselhoff.